Maintain the “T”

(IMO, the posts and videos of January 4,5 and 6 are really going to help all of you if you just look at them with an open mind. Watch them as if you know nothing about golf at all…and just ask yourself if they make sense.)

When I say T, I am talking about the capital “T” that a line across your shoulders for the top and a line down where your spine is, would form..

If you turn your shoulders 90* to your spine in both the backswing and downswing all the way though to the finish, you will maintain the T. If you turn to level to the ground or too vertical, the top line on the T will tilt.

This is a big time key to improving your golf swing and golf game because it simplifies your swing, reduces the number of hand and arm compensations you will need to make and reduces the number of swing errors you can make to get your self in bad positions. It also allows your shoulders to turn more freely and create more speed.

Like I have been saying, it’s not about finding the right positions, it’s about avoiding things that get in your way and the right positions will find themselves.

Here is a video illustrating the point more clearly. Don’t try to be too perfect on this when you try and implement it and don’t bring out the protractor to see if I kept my angles perfect…they probably were not. I also exaggerated the poor turn angles to make things easier to comprehend.

The point of all of this is to have a guide and be moving in a positive direction with a general understand of what is more efficient.

11 Responses to “ “Maintain the “T””

1. Bob says:

Please follow this up with some actual swing video of the errors and also a swing maintaining the T.
    Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. radioman says:

Simply stated — that’s an excellent video, Son.
    Looking forward to the rest.
    Man, it’s good to see you standing there in
    you cargo shorts.
    I gotta go out there and shovel a little snow
    for the fourth straight day. High temperature
    here will be about 31 degrees F.

Cheers

3. Kirk says:

I’m sure it’s coming, but I’d like to see you incorporate the “proper” amount of shoulder tilt in these videos on the T. I’ve noticed that with good shoulder tilt at address, turning the shoulders properly feels a bit odd (even though the motion is the same) since the back shoulder is lower.

I think that putting a club across level-at-address shoulders and practicing turning back and through can promote a too-level shoulder turn through in mediocre golfers. Just ask me!

Again, I might be jumping the gun — but it was one of your shoulder tilt (proper set up?) blog vids that has really helped me as of late, and I think it’ll help others to see it be incorporated into the T vids right off the bat.

Thanks!

4. SteelyDan says:

Another good one. Keep up your great work, Monte!

5. Carrera says:

This guy was better dressed…

6. Big Tex says:

I resemble these remarks! lol I was trying to diagnose my problem pulling my head off the ball last night and found a similar post on Golfwrx that like your blog perfectly describes what happens when I turn my shoulders too level. So now that I am diagnosed, how do I get an injection to cure it?

• Put a shaft in front of your shoulders and hold it with both hands. Turn in front of a mirror until you see that shaft turning 90* to your spine. Pay attention to how that feels and try and recreate the feel when you hit a ball at the range. It takes time to retrain your body to do it right.

7. Keith says:

Monte, in this “maintain the T” swing, what is the effect on the swing of a setup where you don’t have very little spine tilt to the right (for a rightie)?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tha angle of the shoulder turn is everything « Monte Scheinblum's Blog - [...] of the techno babble aside, maintaining the T (LINK) or a 90* shoulder turn keeps things [...]