Tiger’s first event of the year

(First off I went and saw Andy and Mike do a clinic. They invented Stack and Tilt. I am not a convert but I was surprised how much in common my ideas had with theirs. As soon as I collate all the notes I text myself, I will do a write up in the next few days.

Quite a bit of ranting follows. Doesn’t make it less true. I am frustrated for all of us.)

Tiger, forget all of these big name teachers with swing systems and call me…or better yet, swallow your pride and go back to Butch.

If you want to break Jack’s record, you need to do one of these two things. I know, I know, I talk big, but I honestly think with my experience as a long hitter, a solid player and being stuck for so long…I could help him more than anyone but Butch.

Actually, Nick Faldo had a nice, simple and correct explanation of Tiger’s issues. Maybe he’s available.

Haney made him swing like Mark O’Meara, then like Charles Barkley (Kelvin Miyahira did a brilliant frame by frame swing analysis that showed this. Someone who knows what I am talking about, please post the link). Here is the LINK…thank you banchline

Sean Foley has fixed some of his issues, but Tiger, he is teaching you to swing like Charlie Wi.

I think he had more club slams than birdies this week. You know why he was slamming his club? Not so much because the shot was bad, as some of them weren’t even that bad. I recognize that frustration and I will call it High Club Head Speed and Stuck Frustration Syndrome. I had that disease for 15 years give or take.

I had a friend watch me shoot 65 and break two clubs. Only someone who has experienced it can understand it. Like I have said before, it is like being constipated.

Like Tiger or not, golf is more interesting when he plays well…and he won’t play well consistently again until he gets the club unstuck by maintaining his level better.

My buddy Peter Kostis was at it again. Taking another swing anomaly that only a world class player can partially control and preaching it to the masses. I have been told he is a really nice guy, and it seems that way, but his swing analysis on CBS is often misleading…and dangerous to listen to.

Phil Mickelson going from wide to narrow is a good thing for people to think about? Really??????!!!!!!!!! He even said it could lead to inconsistency. Why do you want people to think about something that you admit could lead to inconsistency?

The very next shot Phil hit after Peter’s analysis, going wide to narrow gave him a problem. He got stuck, got steep, double crossed it and almost injured himself…and even Peter said the angle of attack was too steep….DUUUUUUUUUUUH!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s what going wide to narrow is you dork!!!!

Sorry. :-D

Phil has some of the most talented hands in the world and still has problems with that wide to narrow sometimes…especially under pressure. Everyone does. How do you think Phil blocked it left and lost the US Open at Winged Foot? He went wide to narrow, got stuck and left the face open.

More than 95% of the people watching the telecast would get the shanks if they tried to go wide to narrow on purpose. Right now, 5000-10000 golfers nationwide are going to listen to that drivel and get the shanks within the next 6 months, if not sooner. They will either quit golf or find a stack and tilt guy to fix them after Peter raves about Tiger’s swing the first time he wins so he won’t get shut out of interviews…like he did when he actually said something intelligent and criticized Tiger’s head dive.

If Peter was a weight loss nutritionist he would tell people to go to Tijuana and drink lots of water.

“Network” rants over. On to the golf. I love Torrey Pines. One of these days I am going to perform cranial removal surgery on myself and qualify for the Farmer’s. This is the way golf is supposed to be played. 1/2 shot penalties for bad shots, difficult rough, tough 4 foot putts all day long, places to miss the ball one one side or the other and opportunities to recover if you miss it in the proper place. No elephants in the greens, no canyons in the middle of the fairway, no million dollar waterfalls, no windmills, no clown’s mouths…just hit the ball, find it and hit it again.

I am always happy when Phil plays well as he is fun to watch when he does. However, thousands of golfers (as I said above), are going to go out to the range tomorrow and practice wide to narrow and will be suicidal within days.

Oh look, he blocked his tee shot on the 72nd hole…HEY PETE…wanna tell us why that happened on Swing Vision? OK, maybe the rants weren’t over.

That was some awesome grandstanding on 18 having Bones attend the pin…especially when he almost holed hit. Took some balls to do that, as he would have looked like an a$$ if he blocked it 20 feet left into the bunker….after going too wide to narrow. :-D

I really like Vegas’ (not going to even try to spell his first name) personality and swing. That is how a release done properly can hit the ball a long way. No forced lag. I was bummed when he was short on the 72nd hole.

Speaking of a proper release, no forced lag and huge tee shots, I told you guys Bubba was going to have a breakout year. I will say it again. He will win more majors than Tiger this year.

The longest hitter on the PGA Tour and he probably releases it harder than anyone. He actually exhibits something I will talk about tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the central point of my theory on how to hit it farther, with accuracy.

21 Responses to “ “Tiger’s first event of the year”

1. Doug B says:

Monte – I wasn’t able to watch much of the coverage this weekend. Could you explain what going “wide to narrow” means. Thanks

2. Bob34 says:

Speaking of Bubba, in my mind, he totally blows away one of things I had been taught in the past and spent a lot of time working on; The take-away has little to no hip turn and then the hips should turn very little to get that big X factor.

Bubba’s hips turn with the rest of his body right from the start and turn A LOT. Yeah, he gets a big shoulder turn too but he obviously isn’t “limiting” his hip turn going back.

• Bob, the X factor has been refuted years ago…even by mcClean who invented it.

• Bob34 says:

Yes, but that doesn’t stop people from still teaching it. Just torques me off that I spent years trying to incorportate that kinda crap. That crap is just like brand new baby poop, it doesn’t wanna come off…

• Mike says:

X-Factor, what a crap, but there is some loading going on, it is just to shift the butt before you reach the top of the backswing, that takes a bid practice but make the ball go miles, because you can turn all and go really after it on the way down, restricting the butt on the way back is awful and i still would love to stuff mcClean a dozen old dirty range balls down his throat for this bullshit.

3. S. says:

You write: “I honestly think with my experience as a long hitter, a solid player and being stuck for so long…I could help him more than anyone but Butch.”

Tiger KNOWS all about being stuck, but I think Butch has had his run. There are only two types of coaches: those that have been fired, and those who are going to be fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplQjd6ZP88&feature=related Video: Tiger & Butch, running time (8:27)

About this, “Phil Mickelson going from wide to narrow…” Speaking for myself, my body does not understand a concept like “wide-to-narrow.” That concept is ONLY apparent to an outside observer. There is no feedback about that, to a golfer who doesn’t have a guru, a gadget, or a video camera.

It’s an “appearance” thought, not a “feel” thought.

And this, “Vegas …a release done properly can hit the ball a long way.” I’ve got a theory on that too. Maybe in Venezuela they don’t have American instruction, so he has a good swing for the same reason a young kid sometimes has a very good swing. His head isn’t full of guru thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOHhSDagJQ&feature=related 7 year-old kid (running time :27)

4. MSGolfer says:

Monte I really would like to hear what you think about the mental scars that going through a swing change for the 3rd/4th time would cause? How in the world can he keep any of it straight in his head when there’s a mental battle of whats right/wrong mechanically, because at this point the methodologies are contradicting themselves at various points. It’s like learning to be a hypochondriac and then trying to forget all the diseases when you go play in the mud, I just don’t know how it’ll happen…

5. GolfHappy says:

“Monte I really would like to hear what you think about the mental scars that going through a swing change for the 3rd/4th time would cause?”

Time, practice, more time and more practice.

The key is that you have to commit and trust 100% to what you are learning. I don’t think he would have changed otherwise… to what exactly? He sees what his friends are doing and clearly likes it, that should be enough, after all, it’s HIS game and he’s not obligated to anyone other than himself.

• MSGolfer says:

Yea, my point is how can you ever trust it 100% when you’re working on something presently that is totally opposite from what you did a few years ago, however that move a few years ago won you majors. And he likes what his friends are doing? You mean his friends under Foley that have combined 0 majors?

6. Doug B says:

I’m still confused about the “wide to narrow” concept. I missed that part of the TV broadcast. Could someone post a brief explanation? Thanks.

• Michael says:

Backswing as wide as possible. Arms and clubhead pushed out as far as possible from your torso, to make the widest arc possible.

Downswing – Narrowing that arc and shortening that radius in an effort to create lag and clubhead speed.

7. Wally says:

Monte
    I like Bubbas’ swing hands nice and kinda look like you in’92, and Jamie today.

8. Mike from Canada says:

Monte,

I recently bought Sean Foley’s golf instruction DVD and I like the concepts a lot. Now I don’t know much about the stack and tilt but I don’t see how you say that Foley teaches a stack and tilt. Foley doesn’t say to leave all weight on the front foot and pivot on that foot. He does teach a lateral hip slip towards the target, which is a concept I like. Now, I haven’t taken any of these tips to the range yet on account of the 100 ft of snow outside but so far they feel right. I guess we’ll see in the spring.

I guess what I’m saying is that you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Foley’s methods in relation to Tiger. I think it may work. Although I do believe he should go back to Butch too, but we all know that’s not going to happen.

Later.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. FANI STIPKOVIC,Rolex masters Monte Carlo 2/2 | Best of Tennis - [...] Tiger's first event of the year « Monte Scheinblum's Blog [...]
  2. My thoughts from 3 and a half years ago | Monte Scheinblum.com - […] LINK […]