The Byron Nelson

Since few of the big name players were there and the golf was somewhat less than spectacular due to brutal conditions, I will take the opportunity to rant a bit. :-D

The Byron Nelson is proof that course conditions and weather conditions are what make a course tough.

Not multiple levels on the green, rock piles in the middle of the fairway, strangely contoured fairways that repel the ball, fairways that end, canyons, lost ball areas adjacent to the fairways and greens, etc.

Sergio Garcia does not have a swing that should be praised or emulated. That massive drop to the inside and lag that gives everyone who doesn’t have a clue about the golf swing an unnatural level of arousal that should only take place when pretty girls are around…IS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He could pull it off when he was 19 and a lot of people will blame his lack of major wins to his putting (there is much truth to that). However, that is a poor and difficult way to swing the club and his body is not allowing him to pull it off anymore as well as he used to. My point is not to attack Sergio, he became a world class player with that swing. I am attacking the mainstream belief among the ill informed that dropping the club inside and getting massive lag is the Holy Grail of golf.

In actuality it is a booby trap and all who search for the Grail fall into the trap. He could not control his ball flight once the wind kicked up. Guess how I know that massive lag from the inside makes it difficult to control ball flight????

I have said in the past that anyone who says “keep your head down” can be immediately discounted as knowing anything about the swing.

Well, anyone who raves about the wonder that is Sergio’s golf swing should be marooned in the Florida Everglades and be forced to take up Ponce de Leon’s quest.

10 Responses to “ “The Byron Nelson”

1. s. says:

But…but…that would mean that this baseball pitcher isn’t “holding the lag.”

Judging by that picture, I thought all pitchers held the lag.

See? This one is holding the lag too!

2. WUZ says:

Your comment about that “drop it down into the slot, hold that lag” holy grail is spot on. I remember
    when the golf mags and TV guys were touting that nonsense, that I’d see at least two or more guys at the range, practicing their “in the slot” move. The result was that every 30 seconds or so, I’d hear golf balls bouncing off the wooden dividers between stalls. In fact, I remember one poor soul next to me who shanked a ball which hit a metal pole, which in turn whizzed past my head. He profusely apologized to me, gave me the rest of his golf balls, and went home. I actually thought about wearing a helmet the next time I went to the range.

WUZ

3. Wally says:

Monte
    Not being an expert on the golf swing, watching Keegan Bradley win was a pleasure. To me he has what I like to term “the nothing special golf swing”.

4. Doug B says:

Monte – we talk so much here about not being trapped by forcing certain actions, but I find that I need some mental reminders after I set up and I’m ready to start my swing. Otherwise my swing gets sloppy. For me, it’s about keeping my head back (i.e., spine tilt) and getting my hips through to a proper finish position. Do you play by “feel”, or are there specific reminders you give yourself? Do you think it’s better to play by feel alone?

• There sometimes needs to be some mechanical dialogue with yourself to find the feel that works for you.

There is nothing wrong with a swing key. As a matter of fact, everyone pretty much needs one.

• Mike from Canada says:

That is sooo true. I find I can have maximum of 2 swing thoughts. The better swing thoughts focus on feel and not on positions. For instance, I just shot 80 last week (pretty good for me) and I focused on where the club was at the top of my swing and at the very end of my swing. I find that feeling that full release pose on a couple practice swings allows my to swing better. I don’t manipulate the club to get to that pose. I just swing naturally and try to finish in that full release, relaxed position.

So although I am focusing on positions, I am actually focusing on the feel of those positions. Does that make any sense? Kind of rambling on here.

5. Calvin D says:

I wonder if Sergio’s apparent lag is exaggerated by his flat plane and camera angle. Hogan had lag that appeared very severe from a face on view but was probably 90 deg or less, plus he performed quite well with it into his forties. If you stand in front of a mirror and rotate a 90 deg lag between vertical and flat you can see that photos can be very deceiving.

• woody says:

Sergio, from the Hank Haney viewing position:

Critiquing a golfer from a single view can be a risky proposition. As you say, sometimes things that appear to be happening…are not what they appear.

6. Wally says:

Lag Smag. Watch a video of Jamie Sadlowski, nothing forced in that swing and his hands are pretty HIGH at the top

7. Michael says:

If you have a flat plane in relation to your spine angle, you can’t continue to move the clubhead farther past you once you can’t turn your shoulders anymore. With an upright plane, you can since you can move your arms above your shoulder sockets, but now your body is all out of sync with itself. The angles you’re trying to force yourself into have no possible chance of being sustained and it’s going to be a clusterf**k of absurdity to try and time everything correctly, hit a ball accurately with a steady acceleration, all while risking injury to yourself.

Stop trying to correlate high hands with distance. It’s growing old.